Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
New message board software Login/Join 

Star
posted
Looking into getting new software for the boards. Suggestions welcome.

Posts: 1149 | Location: In your posts, deletin' your swears. | Registered: February 19, 2004Report This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
I'm in the dark as far as suggestions go but let me just say that it is long overdue and thank you for looking into making a change.

I'm sure it would be welcomed by all..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TEAL POWER™,

Posts: 3156 | Location: Palace of Moosey Hills | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
I don't really have a problem with the current board. It doesn't have many bells & whistles, but it serves its purpose.

vBulletin is probably the way to go, if you're looking for a change though

_________

Posts: 6526 | Registered: December 27, 2005Report This Post

Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MONROE POWER:
I don't really have a problem with the current board. It doesn't have many bells & whistles, but it serves its purpose.

vBulletin is probably the way to go, if you're looking for a change though

vBulletin?

Misery, Misery, Misery, Is what you've chosen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pistons.com,

What in SAM-HILL-BLUE-BLAZES is goin on 'round here anyway?

Posts: 580 | Location: Kalamazoo | Registered: September 08, 2003Report This Post

Veteran
posted Hide Post
PhpBB is the most widely used free Open Source forum tool and certainly the most popular one on SiteGround servers. It is a powerful, multi-functional, and easily modifiable bulletin board package. phpBB has a user-friendly interface, simple installation and administration, and helpful tutorial and documentation.PhpBB is an open source script, which means you are allowed to modify its source code to your convenience.

What in SAM-HILL-BLUE-BLAZES is goin on 'round here anyway?

Posts: 580 | Location: Kalamazoo | Registered: September 08, 2003Report This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Would prefer to be able to cut and paste. Anything that makes an internet challenged guy like myself, be able to add pics or links... 'cause I have tried and failed to on a number of occasions.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. -
Winston Churchill

Posts: 4123 | Location: Reno, NV. | Registered: June 02, 2007Report This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
No!!! I like the way our boards they way they are!!!!!! Brings me back to high school!

“I loved it, yeah, chicken paella. It's awesome,” - Kyle Singler

Posts: 2238 | Location: Birmingham, MI | Registered: March 03, 2005Report This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
I like it the way they're. I really like the changes that have already been made. It's really cool here now. Good work P-com!

Posts: 7747 | Registered: December 12, 2007Report This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
I thought the new changes with the banner and wallpapers added a nice simple touch to it.

Posts: 9899 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 01, 2005Report This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
over at Lions Forums they use vBulletin...the way they have it set up is you can get the link to a YT vid (or news article or etc..)and put it in the reply box and click the post button without using codes or tags or hitting icon buttons.

Posts: 3156 | Location: Palace of Moosey Hills | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
The Frozen Piston.
Veteran
posted Hide Post
no more HTML, that crap is weak.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"2 Phone Trappin"

Superstar
posted Hide Post
Vbulletin has to be completely customized otherwise every one looks the same. I would hope if you change software you would merge the database so we could at least have our history.

I don't know the goal of the forum though, if it's to keep it as it is, or if it's to grow it. I would think it would be pretty easy to get hundreds of members on at a time if that's what you wanted to do. If it's to just keep the members how it is, then I appreciate it but it doesn't make much financial/time sense.

Posts: 9899 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 01, 2005Report This Post

Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Combs:
Vbulletin has to be completely customized otherwise every one looks the same. I would hope if you change software you would merge the database so we could at least have our history.

I don't know the goal of the forum though, if it's to keep it as it is, or if it's to grow it. I would think it would be pretty easy to get hundreds of members on at a time if that's what you wanted to do. If it's to just keep the members how it is, then I appreciate it but it doesn't make much financial/time sense.

Merging may be a problem with this current setup. It's so old, I don't believe there's an export function.

The goal of an upgrade would be extra features on both the front end and the back end. Extra membership would be a bonus, but that's going to happen more from promotion than just new software.

Posts: 1149 | Location: In your posts, deletin' your swears. | Registered: February 19, 2004Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFdoom12:
no more HTML, that crap is weak.

agreed

Posts: 89 | Location: inside the house | Registered: July 17, 2013Report This Post
Rookie
posted Hide Post
When I read the boards from my Android phone, posts have different font size. Some are tiny, some are huge. Anybody else having that problem?
(On the PC there are no such issues.)

Anyway, it would be nice if the new system is smartphone friendly (or has a good app to go with it)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom.

Superstar
posted Hide Post
If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Superstar
posted Hide Post
I like the recent changes and the simple feel of the current message board.

Posts: 5329 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Report This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Ostrich:
If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

It is broke...this place feels like the beginning of the Internet...it's old!

Superstar
posted Hide Post
Don't change it! It has its own unique feel. Everything uses vbulletin, it's boring. i would be real upset if the forum was changed. it's not broken.

the new additions now are cool. But I like the forum how it is

Posts: 2922 | Location: The Palace | Registered: October 23, 2008Report This Post
Sophomore
posted Hide Post
the best out is XenForo

The Memphis Pick Fell To The #2 Pick And At This Moment I Knew God Was A Pistons Fan!

Posts: 105 | Registered: December 25, 2002Report This Post