Pistons.com Message Boards Terms of Use    Message Boards    Palace Sports & Entertainment Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Detroit Pistons  Hop To Forums  Pistons Team Talk    Bleacher Report ranks the best young cores (<25yo)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bleacher Report ranks the best young cores (<25yo) Login/Join 
Veteran
posted
https://bleacherreport.com/art...ad-of-2021-22-season

This is bound to go down well around Detroit.

Posts: 511 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
The only team I would really argue is Houston and maybe the Knicks. All the other teams on the list have established young stars or even superstars. Detroit has a very young roster, even for this list. They can move up in time.

Posts: 5558 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Star
posted Hide Post
#10 Houston: Jalen Green, Kevin Porter Jr., KJ Martin, Alperen Sengun, Usman Garuba and Josh Christopher…

In what world is that core better than Cunningham, Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Frank & Josh Jackson, Diallo, Lee, Garza, Livers, Doumbouya??

Update - it’s been made clear to me it’s in the world where people overvalue KPJ and think Sengun is the next Jokic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StonesIQ,

Posts: 1994 | Location: DownTown | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Getting upset at Bleacher Report writers is about as pointless at getting upset at the outcome of G-league games.

That said, I agree with YS. Except for the last two teams with Houston and New York, I tend to agree with the list UNTIL Cade has a chance to prove his mettle in real NBA games and emerge as the star player we all hope he becomes.

But big whoop about Rockets and Knicks. It's whatever.

Posts: 16704 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
This post reminds me of the good ole days when the Pistons were one of the best teams in the NBA but were always ridiculously disrespected in power rankings.

No way in hell Houston has a better young core, even if Green turns out better then Cade they don't.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Star
posted Hide Post
F'ck em!!

I've been in pressure situations before. All my life it's been about pressure and having to get it done. Just because you say it publicly, it does not make me afraid of it or make me shy away from it. - Isaiah Lord Thomas, Detroit Pistons

quote:
I was Born twice, first through my moms then through the womb of Islam

Posts: 1451 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: October 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
Picture of The Palace Assassin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StonesIQ:
#10 Houston: Jalen Green, Kevin Porter Jr., KJ Martin, Alperen Sengun, Usman Garuba and Josh Christopher…

In what world is that core better than Cunningham, Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Frank & Josh Jackson, Diallo, Lee, Garza, Livers, Doumbouya??

Minus John Wall and Eric Gordon's contracts, I would absolutely prefer to be in Houston's shoes. In two years it's all gone for them. They killed it in this years draft, and I would absolutely trade our roster for theirs.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: August 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
More than a few draft pundits viewed Alperen Sengun as a top 5 talent in this past draft, with Jokic type ability. Some even viewed him as the best prospect after Cunningham and Green. And Kevin Porter, Jr. has some people in basketball circles looking at him like a Lou Williams type explosive scorer. Maybe not a star, but a potential star in the role he'll play.

Don't have to agree with it. But there is an argument. If both Green and Alperen meet potential, that could be two stars to Cunningham's 1, even if he also meets expectations. Most of the rest of the names don't matter as secondary role players. So it doesn't matter how many more good, young players a team has if the other team has more elite or potentially elite talent.

That's the argument anyway. Again, you don't have to agree with it. I don't. But it's not absurd or anything.

Posts: 16704 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
I didn’t say Sengun was mocked as a top 5 draft pick. I said draft pundits viewed him as a top 5 talent. There’s a difference. Because he was international and there are legitimate concerns about athleticism and defense, draft analysts weren’t necessarily saying he will be a top 5 or top 10 pick. They were saying he’s a top 5, top 10 talent in this draft when all is said and done. But just so you know I’m not making ish up and talking out my @ss:

quote:
The Athletic’s John Hollinger is very high on Sengun, projecting Sengun to be the fourth best player in the 2021 class with this to say about the Turkish big.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com...t-with-atlanta-hawks

quote:
In the 2021 NBA draft, most experts rank the young big as a top 10 or even top-five prospect. Some draft analysts have him even higher. ESPN’s Kevin Pelton ranked him the No. 1 prospect in this year’s draft.

https://www.sportscasting.com/...-nba-draft-prospect/

And it wasn’t just some Joe Shmo internet fan blogger on bleacher report. It’s espn guys like Hollinger and Pelton and Schmitz. Those are the draft guys talking that highly about Sengun. And it’s not the same as being projected top 5 in the 2020 draft. The 2021 draft class was loaded with future superstar talent, the likes not seen since 2003, an opinion like 100% of the NBA draft world agreed with. We’re talking about those draft analysts that really got to see and evaluate him overseas put him in the same conversation as Cunningham and Green and Mobley. No prospect in the 2020 draft was regarded the same way.

You don’t have to believe me. You don’t have to believe espn draft folks. But it is what was believed, by more than just a few draft people. And that’s why the Rockets graded so well from the draft pretty much across the board. Sengun is viewed as a steal for them.

And in what world is saying “in what world” to criticize an opinion does not mean you think that opinion is absurd?

Superstar
posted Hide Post
KPJ has more natural talent than anyone on the Pistons roster outside of Cade IMO. That's not a knock on guys like Hayes, Bey or Stewart. It's just that the kid is really really talented, he has star potential from that standpoint. The red flags are all mental health related. He was phenomenal for the Rockets last year, but we're only talking about a 26 game sample size. He's a wildcard. Add in Segun, Jalen Green, Christopher, yeah I can see why some would take the Rockets young core over the Pistons. I still prefer the Pistons, but I definitely think there's a valid argument to be made for the Rockets.

Posts: 5558 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
You're most welcome. It's no trouble at all explaining something someone clearly doesn't understand.

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Not sure I understand why you made another post. I thought we were done with the topic when you said thanks and I said you're welcome. Perhaps you should make an ALL CAPS post next to emphasize whatever you're trying to get at.

Superstar
posted Hide Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
The Carmelo thread? Seriously? The thread where the two opposing arguments were both based on pure conjecture and you even agreed with me that they were debatable counter points? Uhhh ok.

You're still trying to claim messageboard wins? Sweet, dude. Have all the internet wins you want bro. Take em and collect them in your alphabet soup ball. If it makes you feel better, cool.

Now go and make me an ALL CAPS post.