Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistons-Nets Trade Login/Join 

Superstar
posted
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Brooklyn is trading C DeAndre Jordan, four future-second round picks and $5.78M to Detroit for Jahlil Okafor and Sekou Doumbouya. Pistons plan to work through a buyout on two-years, $20M owed Jordan; Nets will save $47M in salary and tax on deal.

There's a lot to unpack here. Pistons get 4 total 2nd round picks via the Nets (2022 and 2027), Wizards (2024), and Warriors (2025). Gores gets some coke money. DJ will be bought out. Pistons will now have an open roster spot...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YoungStuck,

Posts: 5565 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
Picture of matt72582
posted Hide Post
I was hoping we'd keep Jordan.. We need a rim protector/rebounder and a Center. I haven't seen him play in a while, though. I'm more interested than our team than his alleged nose money.

Posts: 4248 | Location: US | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Star
posted Hide Post
How old is he and what can he still do?

Posts: 1021 | Location: State College PA | Registered: October 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
From what I saw of Jordan last year he was absolutely awful, like not worth the minimum awful. I think there's another move coming now that the Pistons will have an open roster spot. I don't think they'd be willing to eat all that money just to open up a roster spot for a G-League player.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YoungStuck,

Posts: 5565 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Let's hope another move is in the offing. Discarding Okafor leaves the 5 spot very thin. I still don't believe Garza is ready to contribute in any meaningful way. With the all the talk about Pistons rebounding deficiencies, I'd like to see them add a solid post defender and rebounder.

Posts: 3097 | Registered: January 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Nice.

I don't know that it necessarily means another outside move is coming. Pickett is still an Exhibit 10 player until the beginning of the regular season. The move that's next could be internal. The Pistons can convert one of their 2-way guys, like Garza, into a standard NBA contract, allowing them to convert Pickett into a 2-way contract player.

Another option is leaving the roster spot open for a possible midseason move to be able to take back more players than they trade away.

Either of those options also make sense.

Posts: 16716 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
I think it was a wise move for future assets. Even better that we stop wasting time on a failing prospect. Maybe Sekou finds his footing elsewhere, but either way I'm done with him. I will not regret to see him do better on a other team either, if he does.

This gives me the hunch that we are possibly looking to make a block buster move with 4 picks and 2 less players, considered.

The power in my writing, you will never take away..

Posts: 5579 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
Picture of matt72582
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what we do, I think we'll look back and think it's a good move. Sekou and Jah weren't going to help us, and in a few years from now, I'm sure we can rationalize the move by mentioning a 2nd rounder who contributes more, or who was a part of a deal that got us someone better.

I don't think Garza can be counted on to be Stew's backup. I'm glad we have him as a 2-way contract. Some think Olynyk starts to spread the floor, and have Stew coming off the bench, but there's always foul trouble, injuries, etc.

Do you guys think Olynyk plays a little more 4 because of this trade? Stew got into foul trouble playing against bench guys, and now he'll be going up against the best, like the Embiids, Jokic, Nurkic, Kanter, Vucevic, etc,. so I can't see him playing 35 minutes a game.. I'm also not so sure Grant at the 5 is smart. I have a feeling we're going to be out-rebounded almost every single night. But Grant is our only rim protector, and that's asking a lot, considering he's all over the perimeter, scoring 23 a game, etc... If we can be a better defensive team and score more fast break points, it can off-set the lack of rebounding, but its very possible Weaver had some contingent trade talk with other GM's.

Posts: 4248 | Location: US | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
Here's some post trade analysis that I stole from reddit:

[Woj] “Again, Pistons plan is to negotiate a contract buyout with the DeAndre Jordan and allow him to become a free agent, sources tell ESPN. In that scenario, the Lakers will be a serious contender, sources tell ESPN.”

[Marks] “The trade makes sense also for Detroit. Pistons are turning $9M in cap flexibility in a below average 2022 FA class into 4 future 2's. Okafor was likely going to be a waived before the season. Cash from BKN will offset the salary owed to Jordan”

[Beard] “A trade always seemed to be in the cards for #Pistons to open a roster spot. This seems to be a good deal to get future capital and potentially nope a couple of roster spots.”

[Edwards III] “The Detroit Pistons will waive DeAndre Jordan, allowing him to become a free agent, sources tell @ShamsCharania and me. Sources said Jordan is giving back $4 million in buyout of remaining $20 million of his deal.”

Sophomore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YoungStuck:
Gores gets some coke money.

LMAO!!

Posts: 203 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jam:
Nice.

I don't know that it necessarily means another outside move is coming. Pickett is still an Exhibit 10 player until the beginning of the regular season. The move that's next could be internal. The Pistons can convert one of their 2-way guys, like Garza, into a standard NBA contract, allowing them to convert Pickett into a 2-way contract player.

Another option is leaving the roster spot open for a possible midseason move to be able to take back more players than they trade away.

Either of those options also make sense.

Yeah, I initially thought the Pistons would be much worse off financially after learning of this deal. The trade doesn't really have a negative financial impact at all. The cap space they lose next offseason (9 mil) is right around the MLE anyways so they can still go out and sign a player for similar money. I think your first suggestion (Garza standard contract, Pickett 2-way) is probably the most likely outcome.

Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YoungStuck:
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Brooklyn is trading C DeAndre Jordan, four future-second round picks and $5.78M to Detroit for Jahlil Okafor and Sekou Doumbouya. Pistons plan to work through a buyout on two-years, $20M owed Jordan; Nets will save $47M in salary and tax on deal.

There's a lot to unpack here. Pistons get 4 total 2nd round picks via the Nets (2022 and 2027), Wizards (2024), and Warriors (2025). Gores gets some coke money. DJ will be bought out. Pistons will now have an open roster spot...

I agree YoungStuck, Gores gets more nose candy

I've been in pressure situations before. All my life it's been about pressure and having to get it done. Just because you say it publicly, it does not make me afraid of it or make me shy away from it. - Isaiah Lord Thomas, Detroit Pistons

quote:
I was Born twice, first through my moms then through the womb of Islam

Posts: 1462 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: October 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sophomore
Picture of Malefactor
posted Hide Post
the Pistons needed a roster spot. instead of just waiving Okafor, you dump him AND Sekou and 9 mil off next year money (that they will actually have!) and 4 second round picks that you can use in a trade in the future?

i like it! even if Sekou becomes decent, i am not mad.

Posts: 235 | Registered: January 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Star
posted Hide Post
With the 9 million, would they stretch it or not?

Is it worth the 9 million in cap space to get these 4 second rounders?

Posts: 1021 | Location: State College PA | Registered: October 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sophomore
Picture of Malefactor
posted Hide Post
no. Jordan is owed 20 mil. he took off 4 mil of that for us to buy him out. the Nets sent 5 mil and change in cash to help pay for the buyout. so we only owe him 9 mil, which is a MLE and we do not have to pay him until next year.

9 mil is absolutely worth TWO roster spots, no more wondering whats gonna happen with Okafor or Sekou, and 4 second round picks that can always be included in a trade, maybe trade up in the draft. who knows what they plan to do next.

Posts: 235 | Registered: January 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Nets sending the Pistons cash does not affect Jordan's salary on the payroll for cap purposes. It's real money, not cap money. The $4 million Jordan gave back does impact his cap amount. If he was owed $20 million, now he's owed $16 million. For cap purposes, since he had two years left on his contract, that $16 million is divided by 2. The Pistons owe Jordan $8 million for 2021-22 and $8 million for 2022-23. That's another reason why the Nets dealt him. To get that 2022-23 salary off their books.

The Pistons have roughly $79 million committed in salaries for 2022-23, even if they pick up all the club option salaries, which they likely won't. So adding $8 million to that,they'd be at about $87 million for a projected 2022-23 salary cap of $119 million. That's still $32 million in cap space next summer, more if the Pistons don't pick up the options of guys like Frank Jackson and Trey Lyles.

Posts: 16716 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
Cash from another team has nothing to do with the salary cap. That is just incentive for the owner to make the deal. That's all Tom's money.

Posts: 2351 | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Boo!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Shameful move.
And the only reason we needed to clear a roster spot is because we brought in players that we shouldn't have brought in, so that's no excuse.

Posts: 512 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Im oppose to this move from the standpoint of allowing another ring chaser in Deandre Jordan to change venues in which to ring chase while getting paid by mainly Detroit in the process.

its a legit question to pose would it have simply been better to keep the cap space or have those 2nd rounders...being we will hopefully be focused on winning and taking a big next step by next years offseason.

my question is there any benefit or possible relationship between Gores getting cash considerations in this deal, using the MLE next offseason and potentially spending over the cap next year? Is there something there that kind of offset the Cap space we are losing by brochuring Jordans Move to LA here while obtaining a slew of second rounders?

Posts: 3039 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
So what you are implying is that we are basicallly paying 9 million in cap space for LA to have Deandre jordan with only 4 2nd rounders in return?

That does kinda sound wack.

The power in my writing, you will never take away..

Posts: 5579 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post