Pistons.com Message Boards Terms of Use    Message Boards    Palace Sports & Entertainment Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Detroit Pistons  Hop To Forums  Pistons Team Talk    Pistons expected to look into dumping Sekou Doumbouya
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistons expected to look into dumping Sekou Doumbouya Login/Join 
Sophomore
posted
NBA Central
@TheNBACentral
·

Report: Pistons expected to look into dumping Sekou Doumbouya
The Detroit Pistons are reportedly taking under consideration the prospect of dumping their first-round pick from the 2019 NBA Draft, Sekou Doumbouya. Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com looked at how the...
ahnfiredigital.comDetroit Pistons’

Sekou Doumbouya is reportedly on the move as they’re looking to clear a roster spot. If Detroit makes a move, engaging with San Antonio Spurs would makes logical sense. To complete it, Spurs would need to send a heavily protected 2nd-round pick to Detroit.

Posts: 457 | Location: clarkston,mi | Registered: February 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Star
posted Hide Post
I think we should move on from Okafor, personally - but if we move Doumbouya I would be happy to see him land with the Spurs.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DownTown | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Spurs is more of a transparent organization for a player like Sekou. I think it's the perfect place for him to beome something. I personally think we are not the right team for most foriegn players. It's about time too. I wanted him traded since last season but now his valie is a protected 2nd round pick. I'm pretty sure we could have gotten a little more at last trade deadline. But wtvr, as long as he's not wasting our time here.

The power in my writing, you will never take away..

Posts: 5552 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
San Antonio does seem like a good landing spot for Sekou if he were to get moved. The Spurs are finally embracing the rebuild. Sekou is still only 20 years and needs minutes, minutes that will be hard to come by if he stays in Detroit. He could've really used some time in the G-League last season. The Pistons just have way too many young pieces in similar situations. Cade and Hayes will benefit by playing with more established players.

Posts: 5557 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Just speculation by basketball bloggers. It's pretty obvious it could come down to Okafor and Sekou but not that worked up over this "report".

I would like to see Sekou get a year with a G League team now here to play 30+ minutes a game with the Cruise to see what he can do at that level. I'd certainly prefer he be kept over Okafor. But maybe the Pistons have seen enough. Just hate the thought of giving up on a player so young over a journeyman.

------------------------------------
https://twitter.com/#!/mikea71

Posts: 3706 | Location: Madison Heights | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Sekou has still more potential than Okafor. But he has no role on the current team. They have a lot of forwards on the roster. That’s why Deividas had no role either. Grant, Bey, Josh Jackson, Trey Lyles, Livers, and either or both Stewart and Olynyk can also slide down to PF if they go bigger. Where does Sekou fit really?

Okafor is probably pretty much what he’s going to be the rest of his career. But he does serve a purpose now for the upcoming season. Isaiah Stewart is 6’8. Olynyk has height but neither the length or strength to guard traditionally big centers. Garza most likely will spend most of this season in the G-league. Okafor currently is the only big center on the roster. When the Pistons face Embiid and the Sixers, Lopez on the Bucks, Sabonis/Turner frontcourt with the Pacers, the Goberts and Jokices and Aytons from the Western conference, he at least offers a guy to match up with some of those bigger centers, even if it’s for short, back-up minutes. Even if it’s not every game. Maybe Okafor gets a lot of DNP-CDs throughout the season. But when they need 15 minutes and his 6 fouls for Embiid, then he’s there at the end of the bench.

Also, Sekou is the only player currently on the roster that Weaver did not acquire. He’s the last of the former regime. Nothing is certain with Weaver. But Sekou feels like the most likely guy out of the mix.

Posts: 16699 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is a good point with all the wings and forwards we have currently. Plus even Cade can slide in those positions as well.

I've had enough of Sekou. Maybe on a more foreign friendly team, he can thrive more. But I just don't believe he'll ever find a good enough role with us.

Posts: 5552 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sophomore
Picture of Malefactor
posted Hide Post
Stuck you putting Cade at PF again? bro Cade is going to see most mins at SG!

Sekou to the Spurs would make sense for both teams. we need a roster spot, Spurs are rebuilding and we can pass our project to them. if Pop can't help Sekou then NO ONE can.

take the 2nd rounder and cut ties so you at least get something for him. he has 2 years left before he is a free agent so his roster spot will be a problem in the future if he does not improve. if he becomes good, i will not be mad cause i will remember this situation we are in.

Posts: 194 | Registered: January 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
When I see workout videos of Sekou he looks awesome. I think Sekou's problem is feel for the game. He plays like someone just told him the rules and he has to think about every action. I know Sekou has "potential", but with a young team, we can only have so many projects. I am ok moving on from Sekou.

Posts: 2278 | Location: Clinton Township  | Registered: December 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malefactor:
Stuck you putting Cade at PF again? bro Cade is going to see most mins at SG!

Sekou to the Spurs would make sense for both teams. we need a roster spot, Spurs are rebuilding and we can pass our project to them. if Pop can't help Sekou then NO ONE can.

take the 2nd rounder and cut ties so you at least get something for him. he has 2 years left before he is a free agent so his roster spot will be a problem in the future if he does not improve. if he becomes good, i will not be mad cause i will remember this situation we are in.

Im not exclusively penciling Cade as a PF. But in pinches of Small ball it's completely rational to at least experiment Cade as a small ball 4. He's 6 foot 8 and close to 220 Lbs and it's been said by many that he can play 1-4 positions. If it gives us an advantage to use him as a small ball 4, why not? Obviously he can rebound at a modest level for a 4.
5.7 boards in 3 SL games as 2 guard should support that idea. It all depends on Casey's willingness to experiment his rotations, which I think is a given. I would not want him playing more than a few possessions every half at 4. But I think the small ball 4 is open for Cade.

Superstar
posted Hide Post
I think we'll definitely see Cade play some small ball 4. Casey is going to experiment with lineups, he mentioned playing Grant at the 5 earlier in the summer. Obviously everything will be matchup dependent, but I could see a lineup of Hayes-FJax-Diallo-Cade-Grant on the floor at some point. The Pistons have a lot of guards on the roster and playing small is obviously a league trend, it only makes sense to adapt.

Posts: 5557 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
No one has made small ball lineups work as a primary mode other than the Warriors, and I do not like this direction. However, I agree that the Pistons seem to be heading that way, whether I like it or not.

Still, I think that Bey should be the PF in such situations. If Bey needs to sit, then I do not know. Cade as a PF does not excite me.

Posts: 508 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Panatha:
No one has made small ball lineups work as a primary mode other than the Warriors, and I do not like this direction. However, I agree that the Pistons seem to be heading that way, whether I like it or not.

Still, I think that Bey should be the PF in such situations. If Bey needs to sit, then I do not know. Cade as a PF does not excite me.

Pretty sure the run and gun Suns used to start Shawn Marion at center. I've seen the Nets start Jeff Green at center and Bruce Brown at PF. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Cade at PF doesn't mean he'll be hanging out on the low block offensively or posting guys up. He may as well be playing at the 2 or 3, whatever he's labeled in that scenario will have little to no barring of what he does on the offensive end. It's more so about creating mismatches or matching up with the opposition's lineups. When you have 5 guys on the court all in the 6'5" to 6'8" range it really doesn't matter what everyone is labeled position wise as long as you can matchup on the defensive end and rebound the ball.

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Well, Houston, even though it didn’t result in any NBA titles, they were winning 50, 60+ games with smallball as a primary line-up. Brooklyn used smallball as a primary unit pretty much the entire post season last year. I’d say that worked out for them but for injuries. Even Milwaukee who won it all used a lot of smallball, not the primary line-up, but used it A LOT, with Giannis and PJ Tucker as the two bigs. Miami went to the Finals the year before starting Butler, Duncan Robinson, and Adebayo in the frontcourt. Their starting unit was a smallball unit, and they went to the Finals.

Pistons don’t need to use smallball as the primary unit on the court. But every team in the league now employs it to varying degrees. And smallball can come in different forms. The Rockets of recent past seasons is an extreme example. But look at Utah last season, for example. They have a 7+ foot traditionally big center, but their forwards are 6’7 Bogdanovic, 6’4 Royce O’Neale (who plays primarily PF), and 6’8 Joe Ingles, all small forwards. That’s a lot of smallball even though they have Gobert in the middle playing a lot of minutes.

You don’t need to use a lot of smallball. But it’s so pervasive throughout the league now, and every team uses it at least a little bit. And teams have gotten really good using smallball. You have to be prepared to go to smallball against certain teams.

Posts: 16699 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Giannis at C is small ball for the standards of the Bucks, but it is no small ball in any other sense. Giannis is 6'11, strong as a bull, and a monster defender. Not to mention that the Bucks just won a title by outrebounding everyone.

The small ball Rockets sucked. They barely won in the 1st round against a team that was supposed to be tanking, and in the following round they were easily eliminated.

I do not remember the Marion Suns well enough to comment on that.

The Nets... well, all right. With Durant, Harden and Kyrie apparently you can play anything. Even small ball.

We will see what the Pistons do, but the current lack of depth at C shows me that we will be seeing a lot of small ball. I do not mind it as a secondary option or against certain opponents, btw. I just don't believe in it as a primary weapon.

Posts: 508 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
@ JJ and Panatha

I think we need to define what we mean by small ball exactly especially in todays more positionless trending game.

If we are talking when pj tucker was being used as the center in Houston that was some next level isht kind of small ball.

Are we talking guys like clint cappela or trstian thompson small ball? Dryamond green...? obviously playing with guys like a prime Lebron (tristian thompson) James Harden at guard helped Cappela and ALL of the talent GSW had assembled there helped Draymond they also kept some other bigs around to fill in at GSW...

I agree Freak at center isn't small ball to me either but even so in todays game some shorter bigs can be pretty effective if they have the right makeup, bulk and strength...

Stewart and Olynyk can man the center postition in todays game...

not being equated with a pj tucker playing as a small ball center...cant' think if any other teams were that extreme...

Toronto won a title with Serge Ibaka bulking the center minutes but hes not even necessarily small ball in todays standards...

pj tucker was extreme though

Posts: 3017 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Stew and Cappela are legit centers. They have the game of a center. It is not only height that matters (although of course it is part of the picture). Durant is taller than Drummond, but Drummond is a C while Durant is not.

I am not counting Draymond as a C, I am considering those Warriors legit small ball, the only really successful one. But, of course, they had Draymond. Other teams may try to copy them, but they won't have Draymond. PJ Tucker is good, but prime Draymond he is not.

Sophomore
Picture of Malefactor
posted Hide Post
small ball causes defensive mismatches more often than not and allows you to run up tempo so these "7 foot centers" cannot keep up.

the Pistons do not need a C as much as they need REBOUNDING. the defense will not be much of an issue but you cannot close a defensive stop without a rebound, which is crucial to winning. if Beef Stew can become a vaccumm and average 8-10 RPG, it should help a lot in that department. if the rebounding is a recurring problem then i am sure Weaver and company will address it properly.

Posts: 194 | Registered: January 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
You see, smallball isn’t just one, specific type of dynamic. Smallball isn’t just about the center position. Refer back to recent Houston teams we’ve already mentioned. Even before Capela was traded, the Rockets had a starting unit and primary line-up featuring CP3, Eric Gordon, James Harden, PJ Tucker, and Capela. Even though Capela could be considered a more traditional center in terms of size and length and how he plays, that’s a smallball line-up. Four guys all under 6’5, three of which are true guards and Tucker to go along with Capela, a center who ran the court like a small forward gazelle. That’s smallball. Same with me mentioning earlier about Utah playing smallball even with Rudy Gobert at center.

Giannis at center actually is smallball especially when you consider that it slotted PJ Tucker at PF. Forget about height for a second. Giannis’ true and best position is PF, you can even argue SF, but I think he’s a PF despite being a very unique type player. PJ Tucker’s natural position is SF. You are sliding both players up to try to take advantage of perimeter skills or quickness of both against big defenders who don’t generally match up that way. That’s smallball.

There are different ways of looking at smallball, positively and negatively. For the most part, smallball is implemented in order to take advantage of quickness and athleticism offensively to open up spacing to asist in getting open three point looks, to play more uptempo and get easy buckets in transition, to force bigger, slower teams to play out on the perimeter, space out defensively, defend up to five positions all the way out to the three point line, and have to run more in open court. A guy like Giannis at center does that regardless of the impact he has on the defensive side. Negatively, smallball is a reference to not being able to match up with size defensively, less ability to defend down on the block and in the paint, being outmatched on the glass. Those two polar views of smallball are not mutually exclusive, but they can be. That’s where a guy like Giannis at center might take advantage offensively, but not necessarily carry the negatives defensively.

That Rockets team playing PJ Tucker at PF won 65 games in 2018 and went to the WCF losing to the Warriors in 7 with CP3 hurt. Because they still were playing Capela at center, maybe you don’t consider that smallball. But I do. They often closed games with a line-up of CP3, Harden, Gordon, and Tucker and Ariza at the two big positions. That wasn't their starting unit, but it was their primary closing unit. 65 wins, Western Conference Finals. Now when they traded Capela and went even more extreme smallball, it wasn’t as effective. Also swapping out CP3 for Westbrook turned out to be a bad decision too.

Maybe some of you view smallball differently.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Afaic, it is small ball when you are playing without a legit center. The PF position is up in the air now, it can be almost anything in the modern game.

If Giannis is ranked strictly as a C, he may be the best C in the league (definitely top 3). I do not agree that it is small ball.

At any rate, the Pistons have Stew, Okafor, and Garza as legit centers. The only gray area here is whether Kelly can also be considered as a legit center. I do not have a strong opinion on it yet. If we see Kelly and Jerami playing 4/5 and it is Jerami protecting the rim, then Kelly is not a C in my view.

Anyway, hopefully we all agree that if we see Jerami or Saddiq being the rim protectors, then it is certainly small ball. I am expecting a lot of that. And I do not like what I am expecting.