Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Trading Grant Login/Join 
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EricLeckner:


I would take 3 high first round picks and expiring contract for him. We need more than Grant to win. We need to have more stars.



quote:


We then have over $80 mill in cap space to add pieces to contend with...




I am pretty sure that Gores entertained that possibility before. But lets be realistic, we are not Miami, LA, or even Houston for that matter. Our market is near the dead bottom. So no matter what money we have to offer, they will simply not even show up to an interview here.


The power in my writing, you will never take away..
 
Posts: 5279 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Star
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck Da Luckster:
quote:
Originally posted by EricLeckner:


I would take 3 high first round picks and expiring contract for him. We need more than Grant to win. We need to have more stars.



quote:


We then have over $80 mill in cap space to add pieces to contend with...




I am pretty sure that Gores entertained that possibility before. But lets be realistic, we are not Miami, LA, or even Houston for that matter. Our market is near the dead bottom. So no matter what money we have to offer, they will simply not even show up to an interview here.


Jerami Grant literally just did what you said nobody would do; Derrick Rose did the same two seasons ago - and a prime Jerami Grant will also help attract talent...

We just drafted 3 high draft picks along with Doumbouya... and we will likely have a top 5 pick next year...

Let’s say we are able to snag Cade Cunningham next year...

Hayes
Cunningham
Bey
Doumbouya
Stewart

Along with Grant in his prime + $80+ mill to spend in FA...

Yes, I think Weaver could build a pretty darn competitive squad with that core (LBJ will be 39 at this time btw)- look at what Miami did last year.

If we trade Grant (especially this quickly) after, like I said, willingly leaving a title contender to come here (for the same paycheck) why would anyone of value ever want to come here in the future?

Grant could have 6 years of GREAT basketball ahead of him yet and his contract could be a bargain in a couple of years - we finally have a true cornerstone who is entering his prime - I will disown this team if we trade him this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StonesIQ,
 
Posts: 1848 | Location: DownTown | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StonesIQ:
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck Da Luckster:
quote:
Originally posted by EricLeckner:


I would take 3 high first round picks and expiring contract for him. We need more than Grant to win. We need to have more stars.



quote:


We then have over $80 mill in cap space to add pieces to contend with...




I am pretty sure that Gores entertained that possibility before. But lets be realistic, we are not Miami, LA, or even Houston for that matter. Our market is near the dead bottom. So no matter what money we have to offer, they will simply not even show up to an interview here.


Jerami Grant literally just did what you said nobody would do; Derrick Rose did the same two seasons ago - and a prime Jerami Grant will also help attract talent...

We just drafted 3 high draft picks along with Doumbouya... and we will likely have a top 5 pick next year...

Let’s say we are able to snag Cade Cunningham next year...

Hayes
Cunningham
Bey
Doumbouya
Stewart

Along with Grant in his prime + $80+ mill to spend in FA...

Yes, I think Weaver could build a pretty darn competitive squad with that core (LBJ will be 39 at this time btw)- look at what Miami did last year.

If we trade Grant (especially this quickly) after, like I said, willingly leaving a title contender to come here (for the same paycheck) why would anyone of value ever want to come here in the future?

Grant could have 6 years of GREAT basketball ahead of him yet and his contract could be a bargain in a couple of years - we finally have a true cornerstone who is entering his prime - I will disown this team if we trade him this year.



Right on man. I think the most reasoning behind this idea was Wood's emergence with the Rockets on a cheaper deal. But Grant is a legit elite 2 way player that can defend nearly every position. Only Cuz of the half ****ed logic of going along with the trend of liquidating one great player.

But on the real. I see a legit possibility with building around Grant and possibly JJ and Bey. Grant reminds me a lot of KG and Sheed rolled in one. He has more tools in the bag than fans realize. I would feel confident in our team reaching beyond the 1st or 2nd round of playoffs, if he is given the reigns.


The power in my writing, you will never take away..
 
Posts: 5279 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck Da Luckster:
No, No, God No! Why? He's the best all around 2 way player we have had in decades. You wanna gamble on his potential of attracting draft picks that we normally suck at picking? Dude. Then you also gamble on our reputation as a free agent destination which is in bad enough shape.


This crap needs to stop.

We should have kept what we had in Tobias and rolled from there. We'd easily be a 5-7 seed. Trading our future away, is what bit us the last time.

Please No!

I approve this message.
 
Posts: 2095 | Location: Clinton Township  | Registered: December 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
The 3 draft choices and expiring contract I am referring to need to be overall higher than the Hayes, Stewart, Bey trio of picks.

Trading away your future is stupid. Trading for Griffin was stupid. But trading Harris when we did was not. We were not that good of a team. We should have traded Harris for draft picks. He Only had one more year on his contract. He was not our future.

Grant Hill was not enough to carry our team alone.
Jerry Stackhouse was not enough to carry our team alone
Do we need to repeat this failed experiment just because Grant is a Star player. We need several stars developing at the same time for this to work.

I just read something on DBB on Stewarts defensive issues. Bey played about 5 minutes tonight. Doumboya has a few good games and a whole bunch of duds and with his current production Casey cant be blamed for that. Killian Hayes did not seem very good before he was hurt. Jackson is on a short contract.

I have hopes for Bey to be a star within Grants 3 years. But nobody else on this roster shows that much promise. If we pay Grant a bunch of money in three years to remain on a bad team we will be mediocre. If we can also trade other players for future assets that would be good too. But to wait until a contract is expiring with less value is not good.
 
Posts: 997 | Location: State College PA | Registered: October 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EricLeckner:
The 3 draft choices and expiring contract I am referring to need to be overall higher than the Hayes, Stewart, Bey trio of picks.

Trading away your future is stupid. Trading for Griffin was stupid. But trading Harris when we did was not. We were not that good of a team. We should have traded Harris for draft picks. He Only had one more year on his contract. He was not our future.

Grant Hill was not enough to carry our team alone.
Jerry Stackhouse was not enough to carry our team alone
Do we need to repeat this failed experiment just because Grant is a Star player. We need several stars developing at the same time for this to work.

I just read something on DBB on Stewarts defensive issues. Bey played about 5 minutes tonight. Doumboya has a few good games and a whole bunch of duds and with his current production Casey cant be blamed for that. Killian Hayes did not seem very good before he was hurt. Jackson is on a short contract.

I have hopes for Bey to be a star within Grants 3 years. But nobody else on this roster shows that much promise. If we pay Grant a bunch of money in three years to remain on a bad team we will be mediocre. If we can also trade other players for future assets that would be good too. But to wait until a contract is expiring with less value is not good.


We have to pay someone. NBA has a minimum for total contracts. There is no way to build a contender without quality players already on the roster.
 
Posts: 2095 | Location: Clinton Township  | Registered: December 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EricLeckner:

Trading for Griffin was stupid. But trading Harris when we did was not. We were not that good of a team. We should have traded Harris for draft picks. He Only had one more year on his contract. He was not our future.



One post season experience for another. Where one team looks promising within the the future with Tobias as a core piece. Verse a team without an identity and a player that suffered a career altering injury on the way out. Harris got us there the year he came, Blake has only gotten us there once outta 3 and a half years. IDK how trading Tobias wasn't bad. Every area of need to compliment the entire team was from Tobias. He was the glue guy obviously because we soon fell apart after trading him.


The power in my writing, you will never take away..
 
Posts: 5279 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Harris should have been traded. Just not for Griffin. Yes we fell apart, but No we were not that good prior to that to justify keeping him The reason for trading him was due to his short contract length and the fact that we were not going to win with the team we had.

quote:
Originally posted by Stuck Da Luckster:
quote:
Originally posted by EricLeckner:

Trading for Griffin was stupid. But trading Harris when we did was not. We were not that good of a team. We should have traded Harris for draft picks. He Only had one more year on his contract. He was not our future.



One post season experience for another. Where one team looks promising within the the future with Tobias as a core piece. Verse a team without an identity and a player that suffered a career altering injury on the way out. Harris got us there the year he came, Blake has only gotten us there once outta 3 and a half years. IDK how trading Tobias wasn't bad. Every area of need to compliment the entire team was from Tobias. He was the glue guy obviously because we soon fell apart after trading him.
 
Posts: 997 | Location: State College PA | Registered: October 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Boston reportedly wants Grant and has a trade exemption but is over the cap so they would have to return some salary. They have all their own draft picks and some young players.

Two questions.
1. How much salary would we need to take back with the trade exemption?

2. Would raiding Boston of their picks and young players be worth giving up Grant (keeping in mind how bad the Pistons stink right now and the shorter length of Grant's contract. (We all know he is a very good player that is not up for debate)
 
Posts: 997 | Location: State College PA | Registered: October 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dunkindrummond:
quote:
He is on a 3-year contract and his value is probably getting high enough now to land younger assets. From the looks of our team we are not contending this year or next. So we should probably get several potential future stars and or high draft picks for him.


No. You got to start building somewhere. Grant wanted to be here, this team doesn't have any other player on it's roster capable of doing what he's doing now, or in the future. He turned down the same contract from a team that was a championship contender. That says a lot about him as a man and player. You use players like him as a building block.


Agreed. Good post.


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. -
Winston Churchill

 
Posts: 4123 | Location: Reno, NV. | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


Copyright 2012 NBA Media Ventures, LLC. All rights reserved. No portion of NBA.com may be duplicated, redistributed or manipulated in any form. By accessing any information beyond this page, you agree to abide by the NBA.com Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Employment opportunities
HOME | NEWS | PLAYERS | STATISTICS | SCHEDULE & SCORES | TICKETS