Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Motor City Cruise Login/Join 

Superstar
posted Hide Post
The WNBA has lost about 10 million dollars annually since it's inception in 1996. I don't think anyone in the NBA is overly concerned about the profit margins of G-League teams. Having said that, everybody wants to make money. I'm sure marketability means something to some of the lower level owners. In the end, the G-League is meant to be a developmental league. The accessibility of having the Cruise down the street means more to the Pistons than whatever profit the G-League team can turn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YoungStuck,
 
Posts: 5571 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
I agree the point of the G-league is not really about making any significant profit. But that's why I countered the idea of it being or becoming a billion dollar idea by expanding it or adding more money or resources to it. Profit is not the main point of any minor league system really. It's to feed talent to the major league affiliate that does make the profit.


I don't get the point of having the Cruise so close for access. In my examples, I talked about locating them in Saginaw / Bay City, Toledo, or Novi. Cities or towns within 1-2 hours from Detroit. That does not prevent access. There are new inventions called automobiles. Incredible and fancy creations. If the Pistons wanted to have access to their G-league players, it would not be difficult to get them to their practice facilities. Heck, they can keep them their for any days they are not playing games. And then the actual playing arenas could still be separate and distant enough.
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
I suggest access and familiarity would still likely be at stake here. With the prospect of Pistons coaches and the staff being able to attend Cruise games/practices etc only being literally minuets away being able to juggle their own duties with the Pistons etc...Especially with the time crunch of things in the hectic regular season schedule.

Probably a lot more chances to keep eyes on the G leaguers here being so close...even possibly the difference in Casey or head coach himself from being able to attend. 1 or 2 hrs away might be significant and could add up. Who knows now G leaguers and the NBA players could even work out train together etc have lots more joint activities etc...THis is better for the organization keeping big paws on the young pups and making sure they stay diligent.
 
Posts: 3051 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Except maybe the very first home game, I would bet money that Casey and any of his top asistant coaches won’t attend more than 1 other Cruise home game, and if so, probably during the all star break. And I’m not even sure they’ll attend that first game. But since it’s the inaugural season as the primary G-league affiliate in a new location, I can understand if they do. The Cruise could play IN Little Caesar’s and I wouldn’t expect Casey and staff to go to many home games. One of his lower level staff, like a video coordinator or someone on the player development staff might attend some, but I’d expect that if the team played games two hours away as well. Those hectic schedules of NBA coaches you alluded to are occupied with practices, film, and game prep on days there are no games. Any “free” days they do have will likely prioritize family over a G-League game no matter how far or how close the game is.

Another new invention like the automobile is the video camera. Anything of note from the G-League team can be seen on film. There’s no urgency or necessity for Casey or any of his top asistants to actually attend those games in person. One of the lower level coaches can do the grunt work, bring the film, and relay anything of note.

The access angle doesn’t move the needle for me at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Joe Jam,
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
https://www.freep.com/story/sp...ds-drive/5536117002/

I wish I had the link to an artical I read where Casey had several quotes regarding the purchase of the now rebranded Cruise and the constuction of the new facility on Wayne State campus.

He expressed his excitement for having a G league affiliate and what he referenced as a "basketball lab" being constructed so close and compared it to a similar situation the Raptors organization had in Toronto.

The above artical i linked more loosely expresses excitement from the Pistons referencing advantages for the front office, coaching staff and their young players while having the newly constructed facility so close to the Henry Ford performance center where the NBA Pistons themselves practice.

@jam if you can't see a possible connection here of access "at all" I dont know how else to help you...glasses? maybe a 3rd graders imagination?
 
Posts: 3051 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ultimate Message Board Ninja Warrior


Superstar
Picture of darko99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jam:
A little off topic, but kind of in line with the idea of making the G-league more like an MLB minor league system.

I just don’t believe it’s comparable because of the differences in dynamics between the two sports. Baseball has a daily schedule of games for 6 months, plays up to 14-15 or more players every day, and there’s a constant shuffling of players during the season, especially at the end of the bench and from the bullpen, or when players get injured. Basketball isn’t quite the same. 15 players on the active roster and usually only 8-10 players play regularly, and only 3-4 games a week compared to 6-7 games a week with baseball. When an NBA rotation player gets injured, he’s not usually replaced by a G-league player, not even the 2-way contract guys. His minutes are usually taken by a guy already at the end of the bench, the 11th or 12th man.

The G-League is not necessarily as critical for NBA teams as the minor league system is for the MLB. MLB prospects need to get game action work in every day for not only development but evaluation. NBA prospects generally learn on the job in the league, especially if they’re on bad teams. Most G-league players unless they’re 2-way contract guys won’t sniff the NBA. Maybe a couple 10 day contracts if they’re lucky. A good percentage of AA and AAA baseball players have a shot at the MLB, at least for a cup of coffee.

1200 active roster spots in the MLB. 450 roster spots in the NBA, plus the 60 2-way contract players. Tougher to make it in the NBA. You’re either an elite talent or people in NBA circles believe you have the potential to be. The G-League has not yet become a true “developmental” league. And the dynamics of basketball and the league make it difficult to imagine that it becomes one.


All of this. So far the NBA has let college basketball serve as their minor league system - for free. I doubt most NBA minor league teams would make money. Maybe do it Euro soccer style. The two worst NBA teams are demoted to the minors and the two best minor league clubs are promoted to the big show. Would stop and any all tanking - make each game more important.
 
Posts: 7452 | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by turiya883:.

@jam if you can't see a possible connection here of access "at all" I dont know how else to help you...glasses? maybe a 3rd graders imagination?


You ignored my point about having the Cruise practice close. The Cruise can even practice WITH the Pistons if they want. They can be at the Henry Ford Center, at Little Caesar’s during the week when it’s not game day. The access would be exactly the same. Novi is literally 30-40 minutes from Detroit. Toledo under an hour. Having them play in cities like that would keep them close enough but still give them a separate and distinct market for a fanbase. I’m glad Casey brought up Toronto. The Mississauga G-League team is about 20 miles from the Raptors home arena, but if you know Toronto with its population density like an NYC or LA and the traffic that goes along with it, that’s about a 40 minute to an hour drive on a good traffic day. That’s the same thing I’m talking about with having the Cruise play their home games in Toledo, Novi, or Saginaw. The same exact thing. Close enough, but separate and independent enough. That’s all. The Cruise players can still be extremely accessible to the Pistons coaching staff, especially on non game days.

If you don’t see what I’ve been saying, it’s hopeless from both our points of view. But what I’m saying doesn’t even require a 3rd grader’s imagination. Frankly, it doesn’t even require 3rd grade reading comprehension.
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jam:
quote:
Originally posted by turiya883:.

@jam if you can't see a possible connection here of access "at all" I dont know how else to help you...glasses? maybe a 3rd graders imagination?


You ignored my point about having the Cruise practice close. The Cruise can even practice WITH the Pistons if they want. They can be at the Henry Ford Center, at Little Caesar’s during the week when it’s not game day. The access would be exactly the same. Novi is literally 30-40 minutes from Detroit. Toledo under an hour. Having them play in cities like that would keep them close enough but still give them a separate and distinct market for a fanbase. I’m glad Casey brought up Toronto. The Mississauga G-League team is about 20 miles from the Raptors home arena, but if you know Toronto with its population density like an NYC or LA and the traffic that goes along with it, that’s about a 40 minute to an hour drive on a good traffic day. That’s the same thing I’m talking about with having the Cruise play their home games in Toledo, Novi, or Saginaw. The same exact thing. Close enough, but separate and independent enough. That’s all. The Cruise players can still be extremely accessible to the Pistons coaching staff, especially on non game days.

If you don’t see what I’ve been saying, it’s hopeless from both our points of view. But what I’m saying doesn’t even require a 3rd grader’s imagination. Frankly, it doesn’t even require 3rd grade reading comprehension.


The issue of access and proximity is the major point for me. Sure if the Pistons played at little caesar's and practiced in the same facility as the pistons the access would be the same even better than having the facility at Wayne ST. Im not sure if this is even possible or desirable though given all the events that happen at little ceasars all the logistics etc.

Also you completely denied any value in the access department of this frame anyway even if the Cruise were to play at Little Ceaars from the Pistons perspective and their coaches. You never coherently expressed the idea of the Cruise practicing near or with the pIstons and then playing their games 1-2 hrs away until this very last post. NOthing wrong with my reading comprehension no need to act like you spelled this idea out or something because you didn't. For me this idea would probably satisfy my value on access and proximity though not sure if it would realistically work out for both Pistons and Cruise to actually share the same practice facility all the time...maybe.

so my question to you is do you value the idea of close proximity or no because at least it seemed to me you completely denied the value of it as long as they were both (Pistons and Cruise) within a 2 hr distanced location...?
 
Posts: 3051 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
quote:
You never coherently expressed the idea of the Cruise practicing near or with the pIstons and then playing their games 1-2 hrs away until this very last post.


The 2nd post on this page of the thread

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jam:
I agree the point of the G-league is not really about making any significant profit. But that's why I countered the idea of it being or becoming a billion dollar idea by expanding it or adding more money or resources to it. Profit is not the main point of any minor league system really. It's to feed talent to the major league affiliate that does make the profit.


I don't get the point of having the Cruise so close for access. In my examples, I talked about locating them in Saginaw / Bay City, Toledo, or Novi. Cities or towns within 1-2 hours from Detroit. That does not prevent access. There are new inventions called automobiles. Incredible and fancy creations. If the Pistons wanted to have access to their G-league players, it would not be difficult to get them to their practice facilities. Heck, they can keep them their for any days they are not playing games. And then the actual playing arenas could still be separate and distant enough.


If you were trying to avoid being wrong by using "coherently," then that's why I made the little joke about reading comprehension. It's right there. If the Pistons wanted access to the Cruise players, they could bring them to their facilities. They could keep them there any non game days. It's pretty clear and coherent to me. Apparently, not so much to you. We disagree about coherence.


quote:
so my question to you is do you value the idea of close proximity or no because at least it seemed to me you completely denied the value of it as long as they were both (Pistons and Cruise) within a 2 hr distanced location...?


Personally, no. I don't find value in close proximity of the G-league location. And that's primarily a product of me not believing in much value of a G-league affiliate in general. As I've suggested in this thread, the G-league or any minor league system for the NBA is not as critical for basketball as it is for other sports, like baseball or hockey. Simply not enough roster spots or turnover to make a developmental league that crucial. It's a place for NBA teams to have their 2-way contract players get their playing time. And maybe one in like ten thousand (just throwing out a number, it's not exact or verifiable, just a hypothetical number) like an Alex Caruso makes it.

But the G-league hasn't exactly been an overflowing fountain of talent for the NBA. A guy like Robert Covington already had a multi-year NBA contract when he went to the G-league. Danny Green had been drafted and played in the NBA before making noise in the G-league. To me, those are not G-league success stories. Not even Christian Wood, who signed an NBA contract with Philly before playing in the G-league. I'm not talking 2-way contract guys either. They were already known talents. Not many undrafted G-league players go pretty unnoticed, get developed, then blow up in the G-league, and then make it. Developing G-league players is about getting them a 10 day contract and have them play 2 minutes in the NBA so they can tell their grandkids about it, like Andre Ingram couple years ago with the Lakers. Or they're developing them for Real Madrid or Melbourne United or some other overseas basketball league.

I don't value the G-league much, so the proximity of their arena to their NBA affiliate arena doesn't mean much to me at all.
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Accessing the players and transporting them back and forth on given days and times is different for me than having the whole Cruise team, all the players centrally located in Detroit minuets away on the regular all the time. Factually this is a different idea than having the G league team practice in the same facility as the Pistons or nearby all the time. You presented this idea only in the very same post you critisized me not understanding your previous posts and indicating you had already expressed the idea of the Cruise and Pistons sharing practice facilities which in fact you did not.

Anyway, no big deal at least its cleared up.

For me there is potential value in having that close proximity access in creating a day to day culture and bond and drive from a whole team perspective from an organizational perspective having a G league affiliate owned by the Pistons team down the street....Casey seems to be excited about it and he had a more similar situation with the raptors and 909 in Toronto. This is not the same relationship with all g league teams and NBA teams as far as I know. Not sure if it will pay dividends but I at least like the idea and potential it presents.
 
Posts: 3051 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Lol a semantics argument? Cool. If you really want to argue that. I think we both know you’re trying really hard not to be wrong. But all right. That’s fine. Whatever.

Day to day culture with the G-league? For what purpose? So they can trade cooking recipes and have team fishing trips together? I’ll bet there’s not much interaction between the two teams even being this close to each other. There’s not much reason. How many players on the Cruise players that aren’t Garza and Smith even have a remote chance at making the NBA? Honestly? Even Garza and Smith are longshots to have let’s say a 4 year NBA career. Could they? Yes. Will they? I think unlikely. Even Pickett is unlikely to carve out an NBA career, and if he’s an exception and does make it, chances are he’ll do it with a team other than the Pistons. What are these culture and bonds supposed to do to improve the culture and player development of the Pistons organization? I don’t see a purpose of your vision.


These ideas that expanding the G-League in any number of ways in order to create a money making business model, or to enhance player development, or to cultivate and better the organization-wide culture all sounds nice and good in theory. None of it is practical or realistic imo.
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
We know Casey as a coach is big on effort, work ethic and professionalism and competition. Its more about being able to set that tone on a principal level for both the PIstons and Cruise.

The next guys effort and competitiveness on the daily will push you and make you better as a player.

Casey spoke of a "basketball lab" environment which goes far beyond just formal practice etc its about the players/coaches for both Pistons and Cruise to be able to operate more as a single entity in this regard. For G leaguers to be pushed by being around the NBA talent in working on their games and being competitive on the daily. For getting in the gym and working on their craft all the time.

At least the potential for this to happen. It just makes more sense to have this all in the same location from this perspective.

@ jam reducing these distinctions to "semantics" with regard to transportation issues, saying you dont believe Casey and his staff will have much say or interaction with the G league affiliate (despite some evidence to the contrary being both the Pistons as an organization and CAsey himself have expressed excitement at having a central located g league affiliate with regard to player development) or there will only be minimal crossover with the NBA and G league players...joking that the result of this will be sharing cooking recipes are your opinions...does not preclude the possibility of it being a real positive for young player development here...or the potential for imprinting a stronger culture for the team and organization.

Again, Im not saying its a definite outcome for success but its certainly not a bad idea the way I see it...there is certainly some positive potential to it...to completely dismiss this is just being arrogant.
 
Posts: 3051 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

What is Casey supposed to say about the Cruise? That he hates the idea of the Cruise playing so close? That the truth is that it doesn’t really affect him as Pistons coach and he doesn’t really care one way or another. Is he supposed to not say anything at all when its their inaugural season? Can he give a little media fluff by talking so fondly about it without it being the absolute truth?

And Stan Van Gundy promised this was going to be his last NBA coaching job.

And Larry Brown said he had no interest in coaching the Knicks.

Keep believing everything coaches say in the media like it’s biblical lightning strikes written on stone tablets... since there’s absolutely no evidence that they embellish, exaggerate, or white lie to the media at all, right?
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
The Cruise ARE downtown though. If we agree that there's minimal financial benefit regardless of location, then there has to be a reason as to why the Pistons wanted them there, right? There are plenty options in the metro Detroit area or even further out, but the Cruise will play downtown right next to the Pistons. Even if Casey is just talking PR, some people in this organization obviously believe that there's a benefit in having the Cruise close to home. I'm sure that transportation and other logistic related costs played some sort of factor here. It's not that you CAN'T have an affiliate further away, it's just way more feasible and cost efficient having the G-League team next door.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YoungStuck,
 
Posts: 5571 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
Oh, that I agree with, YS. There are people in the Pistons organization that believe there's a benefit.

My opinion is that there is no practical or realistic benefit. And again, for emphasis, I'm just talking about where they play the games. I am willing to concede and acquiesce to pretty much any argument about practice, access, proximity even if I don't really agree with it. I'm just talking about where they play the games.

Apparently, 45 minutes to an hour is an egregious travel distance to play games what, couple times a week? Forget that plenty of people in Detroit, heck around the country travel that much or more one way to go to work every day. Shoot, there are Tigers and Red Wings players that have traditionally lived in Bloomfield Hills, Rochester Hills, 45+ minutes away from their stadiums downtown. Why locating the Cruise home games in some of the example cities I've given like Novi or Toledo as a better location would not make more sense confuses me.
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we could come up with specific examples to counter your point, but in the grand scheme of things I understand what you're saying. It's a valid argument. I don't care enough to do this, but it would be interesting to analyze the Pistons and Cruise schedules to see if there is any sort of pattern there. No idea how these things are created, but it would be interesting to see if any of the road trips/home stands coincide with each other etc.
 
Posts: 5571 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Lol @ the exaggeration, hyberbole and reductionism of my position here Jam. Im certainly not drinking the G league Gatorade or a Casey apologist verbatom merely pointing out the potential for there to be positives here with the affiliate and them being so close..not the one completely denying the value/lack of it here or taking a polarizing position at all...

There are some basic reasons why the Cruise are here in Detroit that have little to do with the Pistons the most basic is helping to bolster Wayne States basketball program with a new facility and part of Gores initiative to put back into the City. Id argue there are probably far better ways to do this and spend that money than on a new basketball facility but probably as much as i can expect from someone like Gores.

I mean I'd rather they do this here in Detroit than somewhere else...I cant think of any real negatives in having the Cruise here outside of maybe being slightly more profitable somewhere else... maybe?
 
Posts: 3051 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sophomore
Picture of Malefactor
posted Hide Post
thank you Stuck for saving my case, exactly the way i would say it. i know what i mean to say and i would not have started this topic otherwise. i dont start topics for the fun of it, its literally meant to be a discussion about the direction the league could go that would benefit the sport of basketball and give more people opportunities.


also, it gives us fans a better connection to all of our teams youth and future. its like yes we love the Pistons, but would we not like to see possibly the future? i am sure basketball fans would love to go see Luka Garza, Isaiah Livers, Jamorko Pickett, Chris Smith, etc play in person. Pickett and Garza have me intrigued and if i had tickets i would absolutely go watch them. plus when we talk about draft picks, there can be more "armchair scouts" that actually know what they are talking about because they attend those games more than NBA games, scouting the future as a fan.
 
Posts: 239 | Registered: January 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
I only mentioned that coaches aren’t always completely honest to the media because you made it a point multiple times how excited Casey was. Like what else was he going to say about it publicly? It wasn’t evidence of there being a benefit to the Pistons, his public excitement over it. I just didn’t see why you had to emphasize that.


quote:
Originally posted by turiya883:
There are some basic reasons why the Cruise are here in Detroit that have little to do with the Pistons the most basic is helping to bolster Wayne States basketball program with a new facility and part of Gores initiative to put back into the City.


This is the very first point that gives me a good reason for them to play games in downtown Detroit. And it really is a good reason. First time I heard this point. More than fair. It’s a strong reason. Helping a local school. My understanding is that Wayne State was building that new facility regardless of Pistons / Cruise involvement. But if they can make some money from the Cruise in the lease agreement to help pay back that $25 million, that makes sense.


quote:
I mean I'd rather they do this here in Detroit than somewhere else...I cant think of any real negatives in having the Cruise here outside of maybe being slightly more profitable somewhere else... maybe?


And I didn’t see any positives until helping Wayne State’s basketball program was brought up.

In all honesty, I can foresee the Pistons getting good over the next 2-4 years, and the Cruise being filled with guys that don’t spark any interest among fans because they have no shot making the team, maybe a few local kids get a shot, but there just being no interest in the Cruise especially if the Pistons become really good, like contending for Eastern Conference Finals good or better. No one is going to care about going to a Cruise game. There will be the same 38 people at every game, mostly friends and family of the players, a half dozen Wayne State students who get drunk and go to the games as a joke, and it will be a dead arena. My point about playing a little bit farther out would be that being outside the downtown fan scope and range of the Pistons might allow for the Cruise to build a local fanbase loyal to them regardless of the Pistons success. And with that, I’m not necessarily talking about profitability with selling tickets. More so actual viability of a G-League team. You think the G-League, the NBA will like the idea of a G-League team that consistently draws less than a 100 fans a game? That’s my thing with a downtown Detroit location for the Cruise, because I believe that’s something that could really happen, the Cruise getting drown out of a market if and because the Pistons get really good.
 
Posts: 16720 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sophomore
Picture of Malefactor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jam:
I only mentioned that coaches aren’t always completely honest to the media because you made it a point multiple times how excited Casey was. Like what else was he going to say about it publicly? It wasn’t evidence of there being a benefit to the Pistons, his public excitement over it. I just didn’t see why you had to emphasize that.


quote:
Originally posted by turiya883:
There are some basic reasons why the Cruise are here in Detroit that have little to do with the Pistons the most basic is helping to bolster Wayne States basketball program with a new facility and part of Gores initiative to put back into the City.


This is the very first point that gives me a good reason for them to play games in downtown Detroit. And it really is a good reason. First time I heard this point. More than fair. It’s a strong reason. Helping a local school. My understanding is that Wayne State was building that new facility regardless of Pistons / Cruise involvement. But if they can make some money from the Cruise in the lease agreement to help pay back that $25 million, that makes sense.


quote:
I mean I'd rather they do this here in Detroit than somewhere else...I cant think of any real negatives in having the Cruise here outside of maybe being slightly more profitable somewhere else... maybe?


And I didn’t see any positives until helping Wayne State’s basketball program was brought up.

In all honesty, I can foresee the Pistons getting good over the next 2-4 years, and the Cruise being filled with guys that don’t spark any interest among fans because they have no shot making the team, maybe a few local kids get a shot, but there just being no interest in the Cruise especially if the Pistons become really good, like contending for Eastern Conference Finals good or better. No one is going to care about going to a Cruise game. There will be the same 38 people at every game, mostly friends and family of the players, a half dozen Wayne State students who get drunk and go to the games as a joke, and it will be a dead arena. My point about playing a little bit farther out would be that being outside the downtown fan scope and range of the Pistons might allow for the Cruise to build a local fanbase loyal to them regardless of the Pistons success. And with that, I’m not necessarily talking about profitability with selling tickets. More so actual viability of a G-League team. You think the G-League, the NBA will like the idea of a G-League team that consistently draws less than a 100 fans a game? That’s my thing with a downtown Detroit location for the Cruise, because I believe that’s something that could really happen, the Cruise getting drown out of a market if and because the Pistons get really good.


that is the whole problem though. we WANT the Cruise to be filled with guys that spark NBA interest. same goes for all other G-league teams. it is the only way this would work. injuries, trades, rebuilds, draft busts those things are all real and happen all the time. access to a G-league affiliate would alleviate most of those issues, even on playoff contenders. GMs can draft outside the box and not have to pass up on a potential generational talent because they are 3-4 years of development away from any meaningful contribution on a winning team. how much more exciting would the NBA draft be if teams hauled in 6 or 7 players and then stashed them with their G-league. plant the seeds and watch them grow, MEANWHILE you are winning on the NBA side of things.

when i originally stated this could be a billion dollar concept, i did not mean within the next 2 or even 5 years. it would take at least a decade for something of this magnitude that the NBA has never had to really take form but the league in the end will see many benefits from this and there is no true negative. the expenses for each franchise are pocket change. developing and stashing youth for the future is far too attractive to teams to simply give up on the G-league because its not bringing in money or a huge cult following sooner. if the league has patience with this, it could not only work but it could alter the landscape and level the playing field down the line.
 
Posts: 239 | Registered: January 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 


Copyright 2012 NBA Media Ventures, LLC. All rights reserved. No portion of NBA.com may be duplicated, redistributed or manipulated in any form. By accessing any information beyond this page, you agree to abide by the NBA.com Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Employment opportunities
HOME | NEWS | PLAYERS | STATISTICS | SCHEDULE & SCORES | TICKETS