Find
Notify
Tools

Is There Any Chance We DONT Select Cade? Login/Join 

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
I like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander a lot. A lot, a lot. I think he has all star caliber talent. No way do I even think about giving up #1 overall for him and #6. And I don't even consider that a "massive" offer, especially when you consider that this draft is widely viewed as a 3-4 potential franchise star at the top. #6 is picking in a range that drops off in talent potential quite significantly.

Posts: 16685 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
Hypothetical question.

Let’s say OKC acquires the #2 overall pick and offer the Pistons SGA and #2. Do you make the trade then? At what point should the Pistons consider making the move? If there was ever a team that could pull of a ridiculous maneuver like that, it’s OKC. I honestly don’t know the answer to my own question. I’m stuck on Cade, but SGA AND Green would really make me think.

Posts: 5550 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
Picture of matt72582
posted Hide Post
I would turn it down. If we get a deal we can't turn down, maybe, but besides Cade's abilities, when you get a #1 pick, there's a hype, a buzz, everyone is already saying on TV how they can't wait to see Pistons games, Jalen telling Jacoby he's got to come to some games in Detroit, and he didn't have to acquiesce.

And then we might be able to sign some decent free agents because we have a decent young core, including Jerami and last year's rookies.

Posts: 4180 | Location: US | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
For me trading the #1 pick to OKC in a package that includes SGA is no good. Not solely based on the talent the Pistons are getting back but more on the affect on timeline as well as cap.

SGA is due a new contract very soon. As of today the Pistons are looking to have a ton of cap space next offseason. Having to pay SGA would put a pretty big dent in that space. It would also speed up the timeline for the Pistons to be good by 2-3 years.

So from my limited viewpoint trading for SGA is a no go but because of factors outside of basketball talent.

Posts: 2820 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
Fair point keebler, but do we really anticipate the Pistons signing a big name free agent anytime soon? You're not going to find a better "timeline" fit in free agency once the cap space is available. SGA is only 22 years old and is already in the conversation of best young PG in the league. His efficiency and shooting splits are off the charts. Plus he has the size, length, athleticism, and defensive ability. SGA is a really, really nice player. My scenario would also allow the Pistons an opportunity to draft Green. SGA-Green-Bey-Grant-Stewart would be a phenomenal core to build off of IMO. I don't know if I'd do it, but man it's enticing.

Posts: 5550 | Location: Warren, MI | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YoungStuck:
Fair point keebler, but do we really anticipate the Pistons signing a big name free agent anytime soon?

The hope is yes, but history says no. However they can also use that cap space in trades which could lead to improving the team as well.

quote:
SGA is only 22 years old and is already in the conversation of best young PG in the league. His efficiency and shooting splits are off the charts. Plus he has the size, length, athleticism, and defensive ability. SGA is a really, really nice player. My scenario would also allow the Pistons an opportunity to draft Green. SGA-Green-Bey-Grant-Stewart would be a phenomenal core to build off of IMO. I don't know if I'd do it, but man it's enticing.

Until OKC gets the #2 pick your scenario doesn't work. Not sure Houston would want to help another team build ammunition to move up to #1. I also believe Houston would want a haul to move from #2 down to #6.

I agree it is enticing and I also agree that SGA is a talented player. I still would say no to the trade though hoping that Cade becomes a better player than SGA and the Pistons having 4 years before handing out the big payday.

Posts: 2820 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt72582:
I would turn it down. If we get a deal we can't turn down, maybe, but besides Cade's abilities, when you get a #1 pick, there's a hype, a buzz, everyone is already saying on TV how they can't wait to see Pistons games, Jalen telling Jacoby he's got to come to some games in Detroit, and he didn't have to acquiesce.

There's some truth to what you're saying here. The casual fan might not know or appreciate the type of player SGA is. Whereas Cade has the recognition and is seemingly the hottest name in basketball right now. I think all things need to be considered with this type of move, marketability and financial upside included.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
Boy ole boy. If Cade dont pan out, it will be a huge set back.

Cant wait to see how all of this turns out. I dont know, a top draft pick and an already proven star sounds nice.

But I trust the process and im rocking with whatever the team does.

Posts: 823 | Location: Ca. | Registered: September 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keebler_kahn:
Until OKC gets the #2 pick your scenario doesn't work. Not sure Houston would want to help another team build ammunition to move up to #1. I also believe Houston would want a haul to move from #2 down to #6.

I agree it is enticing and I also agree that SGA is a talented player. I still would say no to the trade though hoping that Cade becomes a better player than SGA and the Pistons having 4 years before handing out the big payday.

OKC has 9 1st round picks in the next 3 years, theoretically they have the pieces to get it done. Obviously Houston would have to be willing. I'm not saying it's likely or even realistic. That's why it was a hypothetical question. I don't disagree with your reasoning, just gathering opinions.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by keebler_kahn:

OKC has 9 1st round picks in the next 3 years, theoretically they have the pieces to get it done. Obviously Houston would have to be willing. I'm not saying it's likely or even realistic. That's why it was a hypothetical question. I don't disagree with your reasoning, just gathering opinions.

They could have thrown in 2 of those xtra picks. id had jump at it. OKC aint going no where soon

Posts: 823 | Location: Ca. | Registered: September 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
The point about contract status is a good one. Although I believe including the qualifying offer RFA year, SGA still has two more seasons of contractual control. So it’s not just a one year rental.

SGA and the #2 is more tempting. I would not hang up immediately. That makes it much worthier of consideration. If we play the how much is enough godfather offer game, I would listen to SGA and the #2. Similarly, not that any of these offers would be realistically doable for these teams, but I would be open to listening on trade offers that included players like James Wiseman or Jonathan Isaac (pending medical clearance of his knee) and the #2 pick. I don’t think Orlando or Golden State can get the #2 pick, but both have two lottery picks and never say never. But those are the types of young players PLUS the #2 pick that would at least make me pay attention.

But truth is, I don’t trade the #1 pick. I think I posted in another thread, short of Luka Doncic and a guarantee he signs longterm, I simply keep the pick. That’s still where I’m at. I keep the pick, select Cade, and then do a little dance and drink a bottle of beer. The “open to trading the pick and passing on Cade” contingent can say whatever they want, criticize my line of thinking, and be bullish from their side of things all they want. I’m just not doing anything but keeping #1 and taking Cade.

Posts: 16685 | Location: Boogie Boulevard | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderation
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
The “open to trading the pick and passing on Cade” contingent can say whatever they want, criticize my line of thinking, and be bullish from their side of things all they want. I’m just not doing anything but keeping #1 and taking Cade.

The other side doing the same thing you doing: Booing, cheering and speculating.

Posts: 6620 | Location: your next stop | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mellow Funky
Superstar
Picture of Joe Jam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gentile:
quote:
The “open to trading the pick and passing on Cade” contingent can say whatever they want, criticize my line of thinking, and be bullish from their side of things all they want. I’m just not doing anything but keeping #1 and taking Cade.

The other side doing the same thing you doing: Booing, cheering and speculating.

I haven’t told anyone how to feel, gent. I can disagree with you. You can disagree with me. Just because either or both of us are extremely opinionated and adamant in our logic, it doesn’t mean the other one can’t believe what they believe. We all got opinions. We’re all entitled to them. We’re all free to express them. We all can post them.

I can tell you I think you’re wrong. It doesn’t mean you have to change your mind. Keep feeling the way you feel. And continue to post it. I’m fine with that. And I will do the same.

Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jam:
The point about contract status is a good one. Although I believe including the qualifying offer RFA year, SGA still has two more seasons of contractual control. So it’s not just a one year rental.

SGA and the #2 is more tempting. I would not hang up immediately. That makes it much worthier of consideration. If we play the how much is enough godfather offer game, I would listen to SGA and the #2. Similarly, not that any of these offers would be realistically doable for these teams, but I would be open to listening on trade offers that included players like James Wiseman or Jonathan Isaac (pending medical clearance of his knee) and the #2 pick. I don’t think Orlando or Golden State can get the #2 pick, but both have two lottery picks and never say never. But those are the types of young players PLUS the #2 pick that would at least make me pay attention.

But truth is, I don’t trade the #1 pick. I think I posted in another thread, short of Luka Doncic and a guarantee he signs longterm, I simply keep the pick. That’s still where I’m at. I keep the pick, select Cade, and then do a little dance and drink a bottle of beer. The “open to trading the pick and passing on Cade” contingent can say whatever they want, criticize my line of thinking, and be bullish from their side of things all they want. I’m just not doing anything but keeping #1 and taking Cade.

The upside with Cade is that he can function as a playmaker in 4 positions. We are already guard heavy. Trading for another guard doesn't seem like a good move.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Clinton Township  | Registered: December 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
I do think there is a chance that its not Cade but its been my stance since we got the first pick I would be very surprised if we dont end up taking Cade. There is a lot of hype and perks to just sitting back and taking him and its certainly the more simple route to go.

If we get a top 3 choice and a SGA quality player to boot id be ok with that...If we get a top 3 pick in addition to 2-3 other legit assets pending what those were It be ok with that as well. The player we zero in on might be Mobley over Green in this draft if it comes down to trading Cade...

Viewing this through a very optimistic lense we can liken this to drafting doncic or perhaps trading back for Trey Young with ATL both legit moves that have payed off for both organizations. I do think that viewing Cade as a doncic is maybe taking the bigger leap here so if there is that collection of assets along with the high pick available taking the more difficult route of trading Cade could have the bigger payoff...there would likely have a lot bigger backlash for going this route than with staying put with Cade no one I think would really blame us...

One area that works the other way is Cade does seem to have those higher end intangibles and IQ to him similar to Doncic even if I think Doncic plays a little bigger and is more polished and skilled. Trey Young had that work ethic that really drove his skill development something Im not sure Green or Mobley possess they are very different players in makeup too....Green and Mobely dripping with natural talent Mobley with length...Trey a high volume ball dominant shooter and playmaker more in the mold of STeph. I do have more of a comfort level with taking a guy who is comfortable with the ball in his hands and making decisions as a primary playmaker.

Posts: 2992 | Location: United States | Registered: August 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt72582:
besides Cade's abilities, when you get a #1 pick, there's a hype, a buzz, everyone is already saying on TV how they can't wait to see Pistons games, Jalen telling Jacoby he's got to come to some games in Detroit, and he didn't have to acquiesce.

Yeah, I watched Dwane Casey's recent interview with Woodward Sports (it is on youtube), and he said sth like the Pistons sold $0.4M worth of tickets within hours of getting the #1 pick.

Posts: 507 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran
posted Hide Post
Well Im open to trading if its a killer package with a bonafide star/starter and still a top 3 pick.

But Im open to keeping Cade.

Im happy either way. Whatever we do, we will be in a better place, then where we were under Van Gundy and the past 10 years.

We win regardless.

Killian matured
Stewart matured
Saddiq matured
2022 Cap Space
2021 Draft (Cade or Trade)

Looks good to me. Yall should all be happy, things look good regardless of whichever way we go.

Veteran
posted Hide Post
"The Pistons have consistently sent a message to teams calling on No. 1 that they will require a first in this year's draft, future draft assets an an established young star."

Moderation
Superstar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jam:
quote:
Originally posted by gentile:
quote:

I haven’t told anyone how to feel, gent. I can disagree with you. You can disagree with me. Just because either or both of us are extremely opinionated and adamant in our logic, it doesn’t mean the other one can’t believe what they believe. We all got opinions. We’re all entitled to them. We’re all free to express them. We all can post them.

I can tell you I think you’re wrong. It doesn’t mean you have to change your mind. Keep feeling the way you feel. And continue to post it. I’m fine with that. And I will do the same.

I agree with you. My previous post was a reflection of the helplessness of fandom. The one thing we have in common, even with differing opinions.

Posts: 6620 | Location: your next stop | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
I don't follow with the strategy here. If there even there is one. He is the most complete basketball player of the whole draft. 7 foot wing span, really sound defender, a genuise with creating his own shot, can play 4 positions. 6 foot 8 PGs don't fall off tree's, and to know that there is enough nerve out here to second guess that, baffles me seriously!

The power in my writing, you will never take away..

Posts: 5536 | Location: Detroit Michigan | Registered: January 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post