Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stan Van Gundy Fired Login/Join 
Sophomore
posted

Posts: 190 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
In Stan we trust lol. He ruined the pistons. Literally nothing he did was good. Everyone was acting like he was a savior to Dumars....

Picked All busts over superstars. He should coach college

Posts: 2833 | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sophomore
posted Hide Post
Agreed he was horrible at drafting. Always thought he was a decent coach, and decent as a GM until the Blake trade. IMO his problem was the same as Dumars in his later years; trying to compete with a team that was nowhere near ready. Both should have committed to a rebuild vs trying to retool; if they'd taken that approach we'd have probably drafted Mitchell over Kennard (SVG was still enamored with Reggie Jackson at the time), and not signed Josh Smith, Gordon, Villanueva, etc etc).

I partly blame that approach on Gores though; his first year he was saying we should make the playoffs next year, even though that team probably couldn't have won in the Detroit YMCA leagues. Made Dumars swing for the fences with Smith, and SVG later did the same with Blake. Seems like Gores has learned his lesson though.

Posts: 190 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Van Gundy is a terrible coach, so is Scott Brooks and coach Bud over in Milwaukee. The NBA coaching good ole boys club need to be over. Guys like Monty Williams, Nick Nurse and Quin Synder are the future of coaching. Speaking of coaching, I think Casey takes a lot of heat, but he is a great coach, better than a lot of these coaches in the playoffs right now. While we are on the subject, Doc Rivers is overrated.

Posts: 2228 | Location: Clinton Township  | Registered: December 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Superstar
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, expect Chancey Billups to get his first head coaching job next season.

Posts: 2228 | Location: Clinton Township  | Registered: December 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sophomore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clinton T:
Speaking of coaching, I think Casey takes a lot of heat, but he is a great coach, better than a lot of these coaches in the playoffs right now.

Agreed; I get why people are frustrated with him but the guy seems to get the best out of his players.

Superstar
Picture of matt72582
posted Hide Post
Shaq said SVG was the best X's and O's coach, and was the most prepared (I heard this from many), and that he'd know what every team does on both ends. But I've also heard he panics, such as changing up everything they did when they got to the ECF (the year after they made The Finals in Orlando) as opposed to just do what got them there.

Many seem to mention how sensitive guys are, and how some can't be coached.

I was VERY surprised Carlisle stepped down. I thought he would have loved to coach Luka, but I sense it's Luka's team, and he's going to do things his way, and I'm sure Cuban will try to present that image. I think Dallas hasn't put a good team around Luka. They came close (again) to the 2nd round, but you can't expect role players to go for 20 and 30 every night.... Carlisle is still the Coach's President, so I'm guessing he probably finds a new job. I read a rumor about him possibly replacing Bud in Milwaukee. And with Jason Kidd coming out to the media to say "Take me out of the Portland coaching search" right after Lillard said who he wanted probably means he's got better options. I doubt he stays with Vogel, and I could see him going back to Dallas, where he won a title. Luka could learn from Kidd, who was last generation's best point guard.

Posts: 4083 | Location: US | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post